Main content

Alert message

News and Notices

    • Difficulties with 613 632-0106

      The Corporation of the Town of Hawkesbury is going ahead and will migrate to a new 'IP' type telephone service on January 18, 2022. Until then, we are experiencing a small glitch with only one line at the time for incoming calls. You can of course contact Town Hall staff at our regular number, 613 632-0106, but the employee will write down your contact details and will contact you after your initial conversation.

      Read more

    • Notice of late billing of charges for water, sewer and garbage collection

      Notice of late billing of charges for water, sewer and garbage collection

      Due to circumstances related to COVID-19, the billing of charges for water, sewer and garbage collection for the period from October to December 2021 will be processed late. Therefore, the payment due date will be extended to February 11, 2022.

      Read more

    • Sports Complex closed

      As part of the response to the Omicron variant and following the provincial government's announcement regarding Ontario temporarily moving into Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen with modifications, the Sports Complex is now CLOSED until further notice.

      Please note that you can access Town Hall by appointment only.

      Read more

    • Online survey to help inform the goals and policies for the new Official Plan

      Opportunities for public input on the Official Plan Review will be provided during the review process.

      Read more

    • New measures effective Sunday, December 19, 2021

      In Response to the rising Omicron Cases across Ontario. the government has announced the following new measures, effective Sunday, December 19, 2021:

      Read more

  • As part of its emergency plan and eager to offer an effective tool of good quality to its citizens, the Town of Hawkesbury has acquired an alert and communication system service WITH NO USER FEE FOR ITS CITIZENS.

    Read more




Jun 2021

OUVERTURE – EXPOSITION RECYCL’ART 2021 – 6e Édition Installation des sculptures extérieures. Une dizaine d’œuvres d’artistes de la région TABLE RONDE – 15h ; Discussion sur l’Art Urbain accessible pour tous Rencontres avec les artistes
townhall banner

Hawkesbury Property line English

What are your maintenance and repair responsibilities as an owner?

  • Property owner water service line: The part of the underground pipe that exits your house and goes to the water valve (curb stop) located on your property. Likewise, you are responsible for this underground part of the sewer line.
  • Indoor water valve & plumbing: The water pipe system, drains, fittings, valves and accessories in your building that distributes water. Likewise, you are responsible for this part of the sewer lines.
  • Fire hydrant: The majority of these belong to the town and may be found at the edge of your property. If this is the case, you are responsible for ensuring that you do not obstruct access to the hydrant ( plants, flowers, shrubs, monuments, fence). It is also forbidden to paint them, because they are already painted according to their water flow capacity.

For private fire hydrants which do not belong to the town, all responsibility rests with the owner.

What are our maintenance and repair responsibilities as a municipality?

  • Water Valve (curb stop): The rod with a cast-iron cap nicknamed "curb stop" that is on your property. It is used to turn on and off the water supply between the town’s drinking water distribution system and your home.
  • Municipal water service line: The part of the underground pipe that starts from the water valve (curb stop) and goes to the watermain in the street. Likewise, we are responsible for this underground part of the sewer line.
  • Watermain: The 35 km of underground watermains that carries water to the properties supplied by the drinking water distribution network.
  • Fire hydrant: Approximately 350 fire hydrants that provide fire protection on the territory of the Town of Hawkesbury.

Did you know?

The water valve nicknamed "curb stop" indicates the boundary of your property to that of the city. It belongs to us and should be handled only by municipal employees. It is important that it is functional, visible and accessible so that we can shut off the water supply to your home if you need to do emergency or planned work.

When planning to dig for landscaping, paving or plumbing, contact the environmental service 48 hours in advance if you need to:

  • Locate your curb stop because it is not visible
  • Have it lifted, lowered or repaired
  • Make a request to close or open the water

compteur deau bil

A water meter is a device that continuously measures and records the volume of water passing through it, and therefore the water consumption. It lets you see and control what you use and how much you pay - just like energy bills.

A sudden increase in the amount of your bill could be due to several reasons:

  • Plumbing leaks in toilets, taps, pipes, garden hoses
  • An increase in the number of people living or working in your residence
  • A hot and dry summer, resulting in higher water consumption
  • Renovations, recent landscaping or filling of a swimming pool

If you see a sudden rise in your bill and you have not changed your water usage, this is a sign that you have a leak in your plumbing system. Here are few easy ways that can help you confirm the presence of a leak:

  • Toilet check: Because the first common reason for a leak is caused by toilets, this is the first thing you want to check out. Simply add food colouring to the tank and let it sit for about 20 minutes. If the colour shows up in your toilet bowl, this means you have a leaking toilet.
  • Water meter check: Turn off all water faucets in your home and make sure no appliances are using water, such a washing machine and a dishwasher. Locate your water meter and make a note of the numbers you see. Wait an hour, preferably longer if you can, and check the numbers again. If the numbers have changed, there’s a leak somewhere.

For questions related to bills, please contact the Finance Service by e-mail at .

For questions related to water meters, please contact the Buildings and Inspections Service by e-mail at .

Did you know?

A continuous water leak can waste the following amounts:

Règle fuite English

To prevent these sudden rises, check for the presence of leaks at least once a year. Also, you should close your main water valve when you go on vacation or for a long time.

 FAQ environnement en

In order to help our citizens, we've created a list of frequently asked questions. In case you cannot find your answer, here is a list of contacts to whom you can make your request: 

  • For questions regarding leaks, interruptions, pressure, taste, odour or colour of drinking water, please contact the Environmental Service by e-mail at .
  • For questions related to water and sewer bills, please contact the Finance Service by e-mail at .
  • For questions related to sanitary sewers, please contact the Public Works Service by e-mail at .
  • For questions related to water meters, please contact the Buildings and Inspections Service by e-mail at .

Frequently asked questions related to drinking water:

What are the pink or black spots in the bath or toilet bowl?

This is a common problem resulting from the growth of bacteria on moist surfaces, which are commonly present in our environment. We can find them in the hot water tank, in the air and in the dust of our residences. Their proliferation is reflected by the gradual appearance of a pinkish, orange or black film on surfaces that are warm and moist, such as showerheads, toilet bowls, shower curtains and bath contours. These bacteria are not present in our municipal tap water.

The best way to keep these surfaces free from the bacterial film is by regularly cleaning with a bleach-based cleanser. A bathroom fan can also help to reduce the moist environment in bathrooms.

Why is my water pressure low or why does it fluctuate during use?

There could be a few reasons for this. This could be caused by a leak on your service line or due to the state of your plumbing pipes. It can also be caused by water distribution maintenance activities such as fire hydrants maintenance, leak repairs and distribution system flushing operations.

Why does my tap water smell and/or tastes like chlorine?

Chlorine is used to disinfect and maintain good water quality. If the smell is too strong, place the water in a pitcher and let stand in the refrigerator before consuming.

Why does my tap water have a whitish colour?

This coloration of water is usually caused by the presence of small air bubbles trapped in the water. This is a normal phenomenon which occurs frequently when the water temperature changes (ex. change of season) and does not represent any risk to your health.

Why does my tap water have a rusty colour?

This coloration of the water can be caused by the use of a nearby fire hydrant, the unidirectional flushing, a water main break, or even when the water is reopened following works. Let the cold water run and it will become clear again. Note that this discolouration does not represent any risk for your health. 

Who do I contact to have the water turned off or turned on?

These requests must be made at least 48 hours in advance. Please call 613 678-9269 or send an e-mail to .

What is unidirectional flushing?

The unidirectional flushing that is performed once a year is intended to dislodge deposits in the watermains walls as well as to ensure the quality of drinking water. To do this, we force the water in one direction and then we evacuate it through fire hydrants. At the same time, we check the quality of infrastructure, such as street valves and fire hydrants.

Because this is a large operation, there may be a temporary drop in water pressure, with or without a reddish (rust) coloration of the water in the areas affected by the flushing. Please note that this discolouration does not pose any risk to your health.

Can I purchase bulk water?

Tankers wishing to get bulk water may fill directly at the drinking water plant. This request must be made at least 24 hours in advance at 613 678-9269 or by e-mail to . Payment must be made prior to the Finance Department or shall be given to the operator present at the plant.

Some tips to follow:

  • Always check the colour of the water before use. If the water is coloured, leave the cold-water taps running until the water returns clear. This should take about one minute.
  • If possible, do your laundry in the evening or on the weekends during this time.

Frequently asked questions related to wastewater:

Who do I contact if I have sewer backflow problems?

Please contact the Public Works Service by e-mail at . For emergencies after 4:00 p.m., contact the Fire Service dispatcher at 613 632-1105.

Why is my sewer bill combined with my water consumption?

All properties in the Town are connected to a water meter and the cost for water and sewer services are charged on a combination of fixed fees and consumption. For more information, you can consult the rates for water and sewer service by-law on the Town’s website.

Does the wastewater treatment facility accept RV waste?

No, the wastewater treatment plant does not accept RV waste.

Snow removal protocol according to the Municipal Act, 2001



(No Class 1 or 2 in Hawkesbury)

Carte priorité déneigement Final 1 2020

pdfYou can download the PDF version here


The right-of-way of a road designates the surface of the land occupied by the road and all the dependencies essential for its maintenance, namely the platform, the ditches and the embankments, as well as all the spaces or paths necessary for its maintenance or its operation.


 Reduced loads period exemption (March 6, 2020)


pdfYou can download the PDF version here

Some useful guidelines that help us better share our common spaces.


1-Adapt the way you drive to winter conditions

Winter is a challenge for motorists as well as for Hawkesbury staff and contractors who are responsible for snow removal and icebreaking operations on our roads.

We are doing everything in our power to promote road safety. However, weather conditions are unpredictable, vehicles are severely tested and drivers must be alert at all times. Take the time to clear your vehicle and adapt your speed to the conditions of the moment.

Avis igloo mobile

2-Fire hydrants

Please do not push snow on fire hydrants. To help us, you may wish to clean them yourself, avoiding any possible damages to your lawn when the heavy equipment cleans them up.


 3- Snow

It is forbidden to blow or push snow on sidewalks, in ditches and in the streets, and also to haul it on traffic circles and medians. This rule applies both to residents and contractors.

Hauling snow in unauthorized sites is forbidden.


4- Snow on private properties

Please respect your neighbors when you clean or blow your snow. You must keep your snow on your own property and not cause damages to neighboring properties during the winter season or in the spring when the snow melts.


5- Winter parking

Between November 15 and April 15, parking on all streets within the Town is forbidden between midnight and 7:00 a.m. regardless of the weather.

avis parking

6- Temporary shelters

Temporary shelters are authorized between October 15 and April 15. Please respect the 1.5 meters set back from the sidewalk or curb because you could be asked to move it back.


 7- Garbage/recycling

Keep your bags, garbage cans and recycling bins on your property at 1 meter from the curb or the sidewalk to help the task of the municipal employees responsible for snow removal. Do not take them out too early, in fact the by-law forbids earlier than 5:00 p.m. the day before the collection.

avis collection

By-law Enforcement Department (613) 632-0106 option 5